Community Music Center
Tammy Le Pham
MEP: Integral Group
Structural: Murphy Burr & Curry
Civil: KCA Engineers
Landscape: Shade of Green
For over 93 years, the San Francisco Community Music Center (CMC) has operated their music education programs in the 3,861 square foot, two-story, wood Victorian house in San Francisco’s Mission District. Since opening, it has received modifications and additions including the addition of a 2,100 square foot concert hall at the rear of the property in 1926. CMC recently purchased the Victorian House next door, originally built around 1885, and this project unites the adjacent house with the current CMC facility and provides a two story addition.
The existing house will be fully renovated to contain modern teaching studios of various sizes and administrative and support spaces. The concert hall will be upgraded to provide better acoustics for performances. A recording studio will be added with practice rooms wired to a control room for individual recording and editing. Additional interior upgrades will include seismic, accessibility, acoustical and systems upgrades.
A relatively transparent lobby will be added to the front of the concert hall to provide acoustic separation from the street, and a central entrance and connection point. A two story addition will be added to the east side of the property to provide for a faculty lounge and additional teaching rooms. A total of 5,090 square feet (including basement) will be added to the buildings.